DND/CF Response To The Earthquake in Haiti
Operation HESTIA is the Canadian Forces participation in humanitarian operations conducted in response to the catastrophic earthquake that struck Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on 12 January 2010. Op HESTIA is part of a whole-of-government effort that also involves Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada and the Canadian International Development Agency.
On January 12, 2010, a strong earthquake measuring 7.3 on the Richter scale struck close to Port-au-Prince. Initial reports indicate that the earthquake caused extensive damage to infrastructure. Power and telecommunications are severely disrupted. The Government of Canada extends its sincerest condolences to those affected by the earthquake.
For media queries regarding the situation in Haiti, please contact the Media Relations Office of the Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada at (613) 995-1874.
Friends and relatives in Canada seeking information on Canadian citizens believed to be in the affected area should contact Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada at 1- 800-387-3124.
Op HESTIA News Room
- OP HESTIA Update By The Honourable Peter Mackay, Minister Of National Defence
[ Statement - 17 January 2010 ]
- Op HESTIA Update And General Situational Statement By The Minister Of National Defence
[ Statement - 16 January 2010 ]
- Op HESTIA Update And General Situational Statement by The Minister of National Defence
[ Statement - 15 January 2010 ]
- Media Opportunity: NAVAL SHIPS DEPART HALIFAX FOR HAITI
[ Media Advisory - 14 January 2010 ]
- Media Opportunity Canadian Forces Deployment to Haiti
[ Media Advisory - 13 January 2010 ]